Friday, 25 July 2008

Last Minute Nappies

I decided that since bubs is staying put a bit longer to make a few more newborn AIOs with gussetts for when I venture out. I didn't want to buy more fabric (since I have too much already) so I went through what I had and used what I could find. I am still waiting on some bamboo fleece so the absorbent material in these are one full body layer of cotton terry with a sewn-in booster attached to that of 2 layers microfibre, one layer bamboo terry, one layer cotton terry. They have a hidden PUL layer with fleece/microchenille (the pink one) outer and microfleece inner. I adapted the velcro version of my pattern for snaps so that it is a bit neater on the inside of the nappy. I relaly like them so hope they work OK. These took aaaaaages to make because Ned kept harassing me (doesn't like me doing things for the baby) and I made one and a half per day:
I have been obsessed with baby carriers te past few days. I've decided to make my own wrap carrier (to begin with) and then maybe a mei tei when bub is a bit older and can hold her own head up. I'd love to go to spotlight and get more fabric but I am holding off until she comes. But if I am still around on Monday I will probably venture up there anyway (Ned loves driving the little cars that they have at the supa centre around).

Anyway, back to knitting my cardi...

Tuesday, 15 July 2008

Knitting

I have retired from sewing (for now) and am concentrating on my knitting. I do want to make a few more outfits for my little one and some more nappies but I want to wait until she is born first (plus I am nesting and the house is tidy at the moment).
I have just finished a cardigan and matching bonnet for my bub to be born soon and am happy with the finished project, although I do find the sizings with the drops patterns tend to run a bit big for my bubs/kids. I knitted the newborn size but I think it will be more like a 3-6 months size. Not to worry, I will use it more like a dress until then and fold the sleeves up :)


I am currently working on a long cardigan for myself and a scarf to match a headband I already knit. I figure these are things I can also work on in hospital (if I have some time free). You can see more info on my ravelry profile (arik).
Off to post elsewhere...

Saturday, 5 July 2008

Baby Stuff

I have just finished sewing all the baby stuff except for some trifolds and wipes but I plan to do those this week. I made up some cot blankets and fleece wraps, along with an all-in-one bodysuit, nappy cover (fleece) and an AIO with internal gussetts.

The nappy cover was a trial of a tutorial from an online forum for doing internal gussetts. It was good because firstly, I need more covers, secondly I wanted to try out the tutorial before attempting a nappy with good materials, and thirdly it allowed me to see how much work would be involved. This is the result using left over material from a fleece wrap:


What I discovered from making this cover was:

  • the tutorial which was written for a pocket nappy needed adjusting slightly for my cover and AIO patterns (as there is no pocket). I couldn't sew up the front end and leave the back end open, for example, as it made it difficult to enclose the back elastic and thread the casing through the legs effectively.

  • That even though it was fiddly, it was less so than doing the half moon gussetts that I had been doing

  • It gives a much trimmer and neater look overall.

So then I made an AIO using the information I had gained from making the above cover and some left over material from the fleece wraps. I put a full body layer of terry (I'm short on bamboo at the moment but I should have some soon), with a booster of 2 layers bamboo and one and a half of microfibre. I figure this should be plenty absorbent for a newborn. I made it with my AIO pattern slightly adjusted (wider to accomodate internal gussett) and stuck with touchtape for the time being to see if it worked. I need to adjust the arms of the pattern for snaps and then I will attempt a snaps version as well. I love the overall result and this was easier to make than the cover and my previous gussetted nappies:


So I will try them out on the bub once she arrives before I make any more due simply to the amount of time involved in making the internal gussetts and the fact that she will have plenty of nappies when she comes home from hospital. It is good to have a "nice" nappy for going out though :)